Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Search

Staring at, holding and displaying these windmill replicas hand carried by my DEAREST year in and year out made me think of trying to find them locally. In the midst of my search,  family, relatives and friends who travelled near and far, here and abroad started to look for windmills as "pasalubongs". My collection grew. With Nely, my younger sister, we scoured the streets of Evangelista, the novelty shops in Quiapo and the antique section of COD Cubao, now only a memory, and the small stalls in Pasong Tamo from mid 80's to early 90's. Windmills found their way into our China ware - Plates, Platters, Saucers, Soup bowls, Mugs, Place mats, Paper napkins, Kitchen linens, Umbrella stand, Wind chimes, Candles, Plant hangers. It came to a point that even wrappers and table napkins with windmill design were my first custom made frames. To showcase these windmills, I had my DEAREST drill them on our walls in the living room, kitchen, and in our "MINI Gallery" - and believe it of not - that's our common toilet and bath.



1 comment:

  1. I lived in our home for 26 years before moving out and even I can't believe how many different windmills my mom has collected over th years. =)

    ReplyDelete